Makes 1 bread loaf
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Resting time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Total: 1 hour and 50 minutes
Egg-free; Low fat; Vegetarian
450g (1lb) strong white flour
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp of dried yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tsp caster sugar
300ml (10fl oz) warm water
3 tbsp sunflower seeds
1. Sieve the flour in a large bowl. Add salt and sugar. Mix well with a fork then add yeast and seeds.
2. Add the warm water and stir with a fork. Mix to a pliable dough.
3. Turn onto a floured and clean board. Knead vigorously for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic dough. Place the dough back to the bowl, cover with a clean tea towel and leave to rest for at least 1 hour (or until the dough is doubled in size) in a warm place away from drafts.
4. Once the dough has doubled in size, slam the ball on the work table and brutally knock the air out the dough, by bashing and squashing it, then knead for another minute. Shape and place the dough in a greased loaf tin. Cover with the tea towel and leave for 30 minutes.
5. Bake in the middle of the oven at 200C/400F/Gas6 for approx. 30 minutes with a bowl of water at the bottom of the oven (to prevent excessive dryness of the crust).
6. Once cooked, remove the bread immediately from the mould (this to avoid condensation and softening of bread at the base) and let cool on a rack. Your bread should look golden and sound hollow underneath.