With this recipe you will be able to prepare a delicious and impressive focaccia topped with red onions, black olives, anchovy filets, rosemary and thyme. It is very fragrant and can be served sliced as starter with a good glass of wine.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Resting time: 50 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 50 minutes
For the base:
500g (1lb 2 oz) strong flour for bread
2 tsp fast action dry yeast
50g (2 oz) melted butter
325ml (11fl oz) warm water
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
For the topping:
3 red onions, thinly sliced
10 black olives, pitted and sliced
1 small can of anchovies in oil
2 cloves of garlic, sliced
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt and black pepper
1. Mix the flour with salt and yeast in a large bowl. Add melted butter and all the water. Mix, first with a fork, until all the water is absorbed, then place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead well for five minutes until soft and sticky dough. Cover with a clean kitchen cloth and leave in a warm place for 20 minutes.
2. Shape the dough on a greased full size baking sheet. Use your fingertips to form dimples in the dough. Let rest in the oven (turned off) for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
3. In a large non-stick pan, sauté the onions with 2 tablespoons of oil and a pinch of chilli flakes for about 8 minutes over medium heat. Season with salt and black pepper. Add garlic, thyme and rosemary, cook for another 2 minutes then turn off and let cool.
4. Top the dough with onions, anchovies (drained and roughly chopped) and olives. Sprinkle with 2-4 tbsp of olive oil.
5. Bake in the middle of the oven at 220C/430F/Gas7 for about 25 minutes until the focaccia is golden. Let cool on a rack before serving on a wooden board.
NOTE: You can make your focaccia using fresh yeast (25g - 1oz) dissolved into warm water.