With this recipe you will be able to make a delicious and tempting Focaccia topped with cherry tomatoes, green olives, oregano and extra virgin olive oil. It is very inviting served sliced as starter with a good glass of wine.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Resting time: 2 hours
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Total time: 2 hours and 55 minutes
Calories: total 2332 kcal, per serving (12 slices) 194 kcal
For the base:
500g (1lb 2 oz) strong flour for bread
2 tsp quick dry yeast
2 medium potatoes, boiled
325ml (11fl oz) warm water
1 tsp salt
For the topping:
12 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 tbsp green olives, chopped
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Boil the potatoes in lightly salted water. Drain, peel and mash them with a fork.
2. Mix the flour with salt and yeast in a large bowl. Add potatoes and all the water. Mix, first with a fork, until all the water is absorbed, then place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead well for five minutes until soft and sticky dough. Cover with a cling film and leave in a warm place until doubled in volume (2 hours).
3. Shape the dough on a greased full size baking sheet. Use your fingertips to form dimples in the dough.
4. Sprinkle the top dough with 2-4 tbsp of olive oil, cherry tomatoes, chopped olives, oregano and coarse salt.
5. Bake in the middle of the oven at 180C/350F/Gas4 for about 30-40 minutes until the focaccia is golden. Let cool on a rack before serving on a wooden board.
NOTE: You can also make your focaccia using fresh yeast (25g - 1oz) dissolved into warm water.