With this traditional sponge cake you can create as many desserts as you like. You can fill it with egg custard or jam, using it for tiramisu' or for any type of layer cake.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
120g (4½ oz) self raising flour
80g (3 oz) caster sugar
1 pinch of salt
1. Beat egg yolks with the sugar in a large bowl for at least 15 minutes, using an electric mixer, until they are light and fluffy.
2. Whip egg whites and salt in a clean bowl until they form stiff peaks.
3. Fold yolk mixture into withes, stirring gently.
4. Incorporate the sifted flour little by little.
5. Bake at 160C/325F/Gas3 for 30-40 minutes until golden and well risen without opening the oven (the cake might collapse). Remove from the oven and from the tin; let cool completely on a wire rack before using.