This unusual jam is delicious spread on toasted slices of homemade bread. It will keep well up to 6 months in sterilized jars and stored in a cool and dark place. Pectin helps in using low amount of sugar, reducing cooking time and keeping the taste fresh.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 3 minutes
Egg-free; Fat-free; Vegetarian; Vegan
1kg (2lb 4 oz) rhubarb
350g (12 oz) caster sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
30g (1 oz) pectin
1. Wash rhubarb and discards all the leaves. Cut the ribs into thin slices and place them in a large bowl.
2. Add pectin, sugar and ginger in the bowl with the raw rhubarb. Mix well.
3. Place the fruit in a large non-stick saucepan and add lemon juice; bring to a boil over high heat. Stir often skimming off the scum on the surface. Boil the fruit for 3 minutes.
4. Check the jam's density by pouring a spoonful of jam on a plate. If it is too runny, add some additional lemon juice and repeat the cooking steps.
5. Pour the hot jam into sterilized jars and seal immediately. Turn them upside down for 5 minutes (this process will form a vacuum inside that helps to preserve jams for months).