My mum has made this cake hundreds of time and it was always spectacular and deliciously soft. I have always loved this one with its sticky caramel topping.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
300g (10½ oz) self raising flour
200g (7 oz) caster sugar
80g (3 oz) butter
1 can of pineapple sliced
1. Beat the eggs with 100g of sugar until soft and creamy.
2. Whisk in the softened butter and pineapple juice. Add flour. Mix all ingredients well.
3. Warm on to medium heat the the remaining 100g of sugar in a small non-stick saucepan. Add a little water to the pan and stir constantly with a wooden spoon. Stir the mixture until it reaches a boil. When it turns amber brown, take the pan from the heat and spread on a 24-26cm (9-10in) round cake tin.
4. Arrange the pineapple slices (5 or 6) in the cake tin over the caramelized sugar.
5. Spoon the mixture over the pineapple slices.
6. Cook in oven at 180C/350F/Gas4 for about 25 minutes. Cool and turn upside down on a large plate.