A delicious sweet and soft bread-cake with butter, milk and sultanas. Ideal for breakfast or for tea break.
Difficulty: Moderately Easy
Makes 3 medium-sized loaf
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Raising time: 2 hours and 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Total time: 3 hours and 20 minutes
250g (9 oz) plain flour
250g (9 oz) strong bread flour
100ml (3½fl oz) milk
25g (1 oz) fresh yeast
80g (3 oz) butter
50g (2 oz) caster sugar
80g (3 oz) sultana (or raisins)
1 egg (for brushing)
1. Crumble the fresh yeast into the some of the warm milk. Let the mixture stand for a couple of minutes to let the yeast dissolve.
2. Add flours, sugar, softened butter, 1 pinch of salt, and beaten eggs to the yeast mixture. Stir in flour, one cup at a time, until the dough forms a thick, wet mass. Knead the dough for 10 to 12 minutes, adding in more flour as needed. The dough should be elastic and smooth. Cover with film and let rest for two hours or more in a warm spot.
3. Put the sultana to soak in a cup of warm water for 5 minutes, rinse and drain.
4. Take the dough out then add the raisins. Knead well and divide it into six equal portions. Place three balls side by side in a greased loaf pan. Brush the top of the dough with egg yolk. Cover the pan with a clean tea towel and let the dough rise for the second time in a warm spot for 30 minutes.
5. Bake at 220C/430F/Gas7 for 25-30 minutes.