Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Calories: total 1448 kcal, per serving 241 kcal.
100g (4 oz) self raising flour
60g (2½ oz) caster sugar
60g (2½ oz) butter
6 egg whites
30g (1¼ oz) ground almonds
30g (1¼ oz) raisins or sultanas
1. Place the raisins in a small bowl; add warm water to cover and soak until plump, 5 minutes, then rinse and drain.
2. Beat the egg whites in a clean bowl with a pinch of salt until they form stiff peaks. Add sugar and melted butter.
3. Add the flour. Mix well together.
4. Add ground almonds and raisins.
5. Grease a 20cm (8in) cake tin, pour in the mixture and bake at 160C/325F/Gas3 for about 30 minutes.