Difficulty: Moderately Easy
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Raising time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Total time: 2 hours and 25 minutes
500g (1lb 2oz) strong white flour
100g ((4 oz) caster sugar
180g (6 oz) soft butter
200g (7 oz) mixed dried fruit (raisins, apricots chopped, oranges)
200ml (7fl oz) warm whole milk
2 tsp dried yeast
2 tbsp flaked almonds
Milk for brushing
1 pinch of salt
1. Beat the eggs in a large bowl until soft and creamy. Add sugar and salt. Mix well then add flour, yeast and warm milk. Mix well together to a soft and sticky dough. Cover with cling film and leave in a warm place until the dough is doubled in size.
2. Fold a loaf tin with baking paper.
3. Add the soft butter to the dough as well as the mixed dried fruit. Knead vigorously for a few minutes.
4. Place the dough in the loaf tin, cover with a clean tea towel and leave to raise more.
5. Gently brush the surface with milk, scatter over the almonds and bake a 200C/400F/Gas6 for 35-40 minutes.