This delicious chocolate roll is moderately easy to prepare and looks fabulous. It will crack a little bit but is quite normal.
Difficulty: Moderately Easy
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
For the roll:
40g (1½ oz) self raising flour
4 tbsp ground almonds
120g (4½ oz) caster sugar
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
Juice of ½ lemon
For the filling:
150g (5 oz) apricot jam
(250g - 9 oz) whipped cream
2 tbsp chopped hazelnuts
2 tbsp dried apricots, chopped
1. Beat the yolks with the sugar, add almonds, flour, cocoa and a little bit of water. Mix well.
2. Whisk the egg whites in a large and clean bowl with lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
3. Add the egg whites to the mixture of yolks, stirring gently.
4. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas4, pour the mixture on a Swiss roll tin 33cm x 23cm (13in x 9in) lined with baking paper and cook for 20-25 minutes.
5. Remove the tin from the oven, cover with a clean kitchen cloth and let cool.
6. Spread the jam on the cake, then whipped cream, hazelnuts and apricots.
7. Roll up the cake with one of the short edges (it will crack a bit but don't worry), arrange on a serving tray and decorate with icing sugar.